Since 1910 Canadian warships and submarines have been named after Canadian cities and towns. The HMCS Antigonish, a river class frigate was named after Antigonish and launched in 1944. The ship was built and based in Esquimalt, B.C.Towards the end of the second world war, the ship did supply duty in the Atlantic. Contrary to many rumours, the ship was never torpedoed. The ship was decommissioned in 1946. Around ten years later, in 1957, the ship was recommissioned as a Prestonian class frigate. The ship was then used as a training vessel until 1966 when it was decommissioned. The ship was then sent to Japan to be melted down to reuse the material. The bell included in the Antigonish museum's display is the original bell of the ship. There is a replica bell in the Maritime Museum of British Columbia. The cap tally on display was worn by a crew member of the HMCS Antigonish. The cap and tally would be worn by non officers of the ship. The skeleton key or passkey on display was from the vessel and was presented to the Town of Antigonish in 1968. Also included in the display are the wheel and sign plate for the ship.
HMCS Antigonish (River Class Frigate K661) 1944-1946
HMCS Antigonish (Prestonian Class Frigate 301) 1957-1966